Served for Lunch and Dinner with Fries and Coleslaw!
Two 1/4 lb patties, bacon, cheddar, swiss, lettuce, tomato and fried onions. WOW!just $795
White cheddar cheese curds in a light breading.just $595
In 1895 the McFarland Tavern was built next to Ole and Egil Evans personal residence and was originally a convenience store. When Ole died in 1912 Harold Smedal, who had married one of the Evans daughters, joined Egil in running the business and bought him out sometime before 1920. Harolds daughter Gunna ran the store for a about a year in the 20’s. The store stocked boots, shoes, underwear, overalls and groceries.
A spittoon was placed in the center of the store with a ring of captain’s chairs around the outside and men would sit and smoke (and spit). Also in the middle of the store was a giant stove which burned soft coal which was used to heat the whole building. Men would come, sit and visit every night, they called it “The Court House”. There was a poor box under the counter, which was a box of tobacco for anyone that wanted some and couldn’t afford to purchase their own.
In the early 1930’s the store was rented to Cora Thompson who used it for a post office and then sold it to John McFarland who turned it into a tavern. He sold it to his grandson Harvey, and from there on the Tavern has had man owners; Richard Davis, Joe and Jennie Wergin, Gordon and Patricia Little and the Westphals. 1976 the Westphals turned the upstairs halls into living quarters. The Westphals sold the tavern to Jan Eith who sold it to Colleen Crapp.
So as you can see the Tavern has always been a place where everyone wants to be, because anyone has always been welcome. A place to meet up with friends, grab a beer or cocktail and visit. Come grab a seat at the bar or a table with your friends because people don’t just come here to drink they come to get comfortable.